Sai Baba was born on the 27/28th of September, 1835 to a poor Hindu couple: Gangabhavadya and Devagiriamma. In his infancy, he was left abandoned in the woods only to be immediately discovered, then adopted, by a childless Muslim fakir and his wife.


Throughout the next four years, Baba became a source of controversy in his community - worshiping both Allah in Hindu temples, and Hindu gods in mosques. After the fakir passed away, his wife was forced to hand Baba to a local medicant and story-teller named Venuska.


Sai Baba spent 12 years with his Guru: Gopal Rao Deshmukh (Venkusa, also known as Venkavadhuta) of Selu. Some say Baba practiced penance at the tomb of His Guru in a cellar under a Neem Tree in Shirdi. The arrival of Devidas in Shirdi aged 10/11 years) took place in 1846. Upon inquiry, Baba mentioned the name of his Guru as Venkusa (implying Vishnu (Parvardigar)).


Sai Baba made his first appearance in Shirdi and stayed in a village for two months. He is noted to have resided day and night under a Neem Tree (aged about 16 years) which he claims grew over the tomb of his old guru. After two months, Baba disappeared to an unknown place.


Sai Baba travelled about from place to place and finally ended up in Dhoopkheda (also known as Dhoop) in the Aurangabad District. There, he ended up attending the marriage of Chandu (Patel's son) in 1858.


Sai Baba returned to Shirdi along with the marriage-party of Chandu Patil and remained at Shirdi 'till His Samadhi. A widowed deputy collector and settlement officer, by the name of H.V. Sathe (Hari Vinayaka Sathe), came to Shirdi after the death of his wife. Baba grew very fon of Sathe, he was the first to set up apartments at Shirdi for temporary visitors. Baba regarded Sathe as his right hand in regard to all matters as he was keeping Sathe close to him and relying on him for everything, the residents of Shirdi grew jealous of him.


Gopalrao Gund, a Circle Inspector of Kopargaon, began the tradition of the Celebration of 'Urus (fair)' in Shirdi.


The parents of Shyam came to Shirdi with a two-year old child named Mohan Shyam. At the time, a small school for children was adjoined with Baba's room - allowing Shyam to watch Baba at nights through the ventilator. Shyam prayed to stay near Baba and serve him for his remaining days.


Sathe Wada was constructed.

December 10, 1909

Devotees began to offer regular worship to Baba in the Chavadi, where He slept on alternate days.

December 25, 1909

Baba gave darshan in the form of Sri Rama to a doctor.


Baba's began the 'Handi' ritual: occasionally cooking food Himself in a big copper pot and distributing it to devotees and poor people without discrimination. After one year, Baba's fame spread far and wide, through Das Ganu's keertans, and devotees started flocking together in large numbers, offering large quantities of food as Naivedya: leaving no reason to continue 'Handi'.


Govind Raghunath (also known as Annasaheb Dabholkar), the author of Shri Sai Satcharita (Marathi), had his first darshan of Sai Baba and was granted the significant and prophetic title of 'Hemadpant'. Baba gave him His blessings and inspired him to write 'Sai Satcharita' - a religious scripture depicting Baba's life story and his divine play (Leela).

December 10, 1910

The foundation-stone of Dixit Wada was laid with Baba's permission.

March, 1911

Tatyasaheb Nulkar (age 48), the sub-judge of Pandharpur, passed-away at Shirdi. Baba showed His oneness with Tatya Nulkar and described him as a pure soul and expressed His grief at Nulkars demise.

After Tatyasaheb Nulkar passed-away, Megha took over the daily worship of Baba in Dwarakamai (he famously used to stand on one leg while performing the Arati). Tatyasaheb Nulkar relinquished everything and stayed at Shirdi - giving Baba company 'till his death. Baba advised him and Shyama Deshpande to perform a pooja.


Due to the efforts of Shri Bhishma and Kaka Mahajani, the Ram-Navami festival took place at Shirdi.

Ram-Navami, 1911

The construction of Dixit Wada was completed and put in use immediatley.


Extension and roofing of the open space in front of the Dwarakamai was carried out by Kakasaheb Dixit. Baba got enraged and tried to shake and uproot a pole. Then removing Tatya Patil's pugree, struck a match, set the pugree on fire and threw it in a pit along with one rupee as if an auspicious offering to avert evil. Baba never liked renovation of his dwelling place viz. Dwarkamai (the masjid) and opposed any such effort by the devotees.

1911, Dec

Kashinath Upasani composed the famous 'Shri Sainath Mahimna Stotra (hymn) in Sanskrit. (Now being recited daily during Arati at Shirdi.)

1911, Dec

Baba's grinding of wheat in the hand-mill. It was not wheat that was ground but plague or cholera itself was ground to pieces and cast out of village. Seeing this Annasaheb Dabholkar (Hemadpant) was inspired to write 'Shri Sai Satcharita.'

1911, Dec5

Dadasaheb Khaparde of Amraoti arrived at Shirdi again with family and stayed for 3 months. Shri Krishna Bhishma the author of Arati book 'Sagunopasana' accompanied him. Dadasaheb Khaparde wrote diary (daily record of his stay at Shirdi in Baba's company).

1912, Jan 20

Bapusaheb Jog started performing Baba's Pooja and Arati after Megha's death.He continued this till Baba's Samadhi and even some years afterwards until he shifted to Sakuri and joined Upasani Maharaj there.


Transformation of Dwarakamai (the masjid) started. Pits were patched up and the stone slabs fixed on the floor. Baba gave up sack-cloth seat and started using cushion scat and boister in deference to devotees' wishes

1912, Shravan 15

Guru-sthan padukas were installed under the Neem Tree at Shirdi

1915, Dec 30

Construction work of Buti's Wada was in progress. Baba occasionally used to go at this place to see the progress of this work and gave instructions.


Baba tells Shringeri Sharada Devi, "Gori, I will appear in Andhra [Pradesh] with the same name of Sai Baba but in another Avathar . Then again, you will come to me. I will keep you with me and give you joy."


Baba names a young girl Shivamma Thayee and proclaims that she will be a saint.


Rao Bahadur Moreshwar Pradhan purchased Lendi Baug and later presented it to Shirdi Sansthan'. Baba himself planted some trees at the Lendi Baug

1918, Sept 28

Sai Baba had a slight attack of fever which lasted for 3-4 days. Since then Baba abstained from food and day by day His weakness increased.

1918, Oct 1

Baba asked a Brahmin devotee by the name Waze to read 'Raum- Vijay' (by Sridhar Swami) and listened to it for 14 days.

1918, Oct 15, Tuesday

On Vijaya Dashmi, Sai Baba left his mortal coil at about 2-30 p.m. Few minutes before He gave Rs. 9/- as prasad to Laxmi Shinde. These nine coins represent nine dimensional devotion to GOD.

1918, Oct 16

WednesdayEarly morning Baba appeared to Das Ganu at Pandharpur, in dream and said, "The Dwaraka mai has collapsed and all the oilmen and grocers have troubled Me a lot. So I am leaving the place. Go there quickly and cover My body copiously with flowers".

1918, Oct 16

Wednesday in the evening Baba's body was taken in procession through the Shirdi village and then interred in Butty Wada with due formalities

1918, Oct 27

On the 13th day Baba's devotees from all over gathered and funeral rites were performed by Balasaheb Bhate with a feast (Bhandara) to Brahmins and poor. Later Upasani accompanied by Bapusaheb Jog went to Prayag (Allahabad) and performed all the remaining obsequies on the banks of River Ganges